Webhosting-Blogging Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to the Scoilnet Webhosting-Blogging Service. Schools should review this information occasionally to stay informed of any changes.
a) ‘You’: This term refers to the school and users within the school. The school is represented by the School Principal, who is required to sign the terms and conditions on behalf of the school and its users.
b) ‘We’ or ‘our’: These terms refer to the Department of Education and Science, its agencies or representatives.
c) The ‘service’: This term refers to the webhosting service.
- The service is being provided for schools for education and related purposes and to assist in the integration of ICT in education.
- The service functionality including webspace size may change at our sole discretion.
- Users shall not access, transmit and/or use any text, picture, or engage in any online communication that includes material which is considered to be obscene, libelous, indecent, vulgar, profane, or lewd; cause the commission of unlawful acts or the violation of lawful school regulations.
- Users shall not use the service to transmit threatening, obscene, or harassing materials.
- Users of the service shall respect all copyright laws and license agreements.
- It is not permitted to use the service for any activity which purposely:
- adversely affects the operation of network services or jeopardises the use or performance for other users, wastes resources (people, capacity, computer), destroys the integrity of computer‐based information, compromises the privacy of users
- creates, hosts or transmits (other than for properly supervised and lawful research purposes) any unlawful, libelous, abusive, vulgar, obscene or indecent images, data or other material, or any data capable of being resolved into obscene or indecent images or material
- creates or transmits defamatory material
- transmits material in such a way as to infringe the copyright of another person or organisation
- transmits unsolicited commercial or advertising material
- discriminates on grounds of race, creed or sex
- propagates computer viruses, worms or malicious code
- seeks to gain unauthorised access to network resources
- Users shall not reveal personal details such as names, addresses or phone numbers of students.
- Users should be aware that any message or information posted on the Internet might be accessed by others for whom it is not intended.
- Users are responsible for keeping passwords secure.
- If a user accesses material which is considered inappropriate for schools, this should be reported to an appropriate staff member or school Principal, who are then recommended to report the matter to the Broadband Service Desk.
- We reserve the right to terminate the service, and in such cases reasonable notice will be given.
- We reserve the right to alter these terms and conditions at any time.
- Violation of any of these terms and conditions may result in the termination of the service.
- The service is governed by the laws of the Republic of Ireland, in particular, but not exclusively, the Data Protection Acts, 1988 & 2003.
End of Terms and Conditions