The Scoilnet blog hosting service will be discontinued soon. Clients who wish to move their blogs to other hosting providers can export a copy of their blog in a format which can be imported by other Wordpress providers. Posts, pages, media, galleries, slidedecks, and content enabled by plugins can all be exported.
We cannot give SFTP access to clients and we cannot provide access to the database, as there would be a risk of exposing data owned by other clients. The export function should be sufficient.
The procedure to export a blog is:
1 - In your Wordpress Dashboard, go to Tools/Export
* Bear in mind that this won't download the actual files, but a xml file with metadata. * You can choose specific dates, if you want to dismiss old content or if you have a large media library and the download is going to take too long to download in a single batch.
The procedure to Import the data on your new blog is
5 - If the user in your scoilnet blog does not exist in your new installation, it will let you choose between creating a user or assign the posts to an existing user. Choose whatever suits you better.
6 - Mark the checkbox "Download and import file attachments" and click Submit.
After the import finishes, you should be able to display the old content in your new blog.
- Ideally, the school would encourage their visitors to use their new domain, but that's often not going to be the case and they will ask for dns redirections. In that scenario, we need to be aware that it's not our responsibility to make sure that the site is being displayed on the new hosting.
- They might be using an SSL certificate that relies on the domain name, or the other end might be rejecting the redirect. There can be many reasons why a site is not being displayed depending on the hosting provider they are moving to. Our responsibility is creating the DNS entries they request.
- Normally, it would be a CNAME for domain.scoilnet.ie, as well as www.domain.scoilnet.ie.
- Here's the procedure in pdf, in case you need to send it to the school.